Friday, August 26, 2011

Recipe Duo - Grilled Figs and Asparagus

I love grilling in the summer.  Well, I love grilling all year long.  Looking for a grilled appetizer to make, I found fresh figs and beautiful asparagus.  I couldn't decide, so I bought both.  This duo doesn't have to go together, but the sweet and salty components sure did complement each other nicely. This is what I came up with:

Everything ready to go.
Grilled Figs with Goat Cheese

Ingredients:
Fresh figs
Olive Oil
Cracked pepper
Kosher salt
Goat Cheese

Coat the outside of the figs lightly with olive oil.  Quarter the figs and place on a grill pan (easier to get onto and off of the hot grill).  Heat your grill.  Place the figs on the hot grill for about 10 minutes, or until the figs appear to wilt, or become juicy. 
Spoon a scant teaspoon of goat cheese onto each fig while hot. Sprinkle with cracked pepper and salt to taste.
Serve with Balsamic Syrup.  Delicious!
Ready to go on the grill.

Prosciutto Wrapped Grilled Asparagus

Ingredients:
Fresh, plump asparagus spears
Prosciutto
Cracked pepper
Olive Oil

Cut your prosciutto slices in half.  Wrap each spear of asparagus with 1/2 slice prosciutto.  (You can use a whole slice of prosciutto, if you want a meatier appetizer) Brush the exposed tips and ends of the asparagus with olive oil.  Place on a grill tray.  Grill until the asparagus are bright green and tender and the prosciutto is crispy. 
Sprinkle with cracked pepper.
Serve with Balsamic Syrup.  Enjoy!
After they've been grilled, the Prosciutto is crispy, the figs are juicy.

Balsamic Syrup

Ingredients:
Balsamic Vinegar
(that's it)

Place about 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan.  Bring to a low boil.  Simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened.  I reduced by about one third.  I wanted my syrup thick but not gluey.
Let cool.  Serve with grilled vegetables.
The finished appetizer - ready to eat!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazingly delicious! I only wish I had access to those ingredients for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete