Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Artist - Matthew Doubek

Mannequin hands creeping across the tops of the fluorescent lights at Matt Doubek's studio.
My daughter and I took a field trip to visit local artist Matt Doubek at his studio.  The studio, an unassuming, converted garage in the heart of Louisville, is jam packed with art supplies and collage materials and inspiration.  A veritable heaven for a pack-rat like myself and my 9 year-old.  I gave her the camera and she started snapping photos.  (So interesting to see what caught her eye.)
My purpose for going to Matt's studio was two-fold.  First, I wanted some inspiration and advice for my own collage work.  Second, I wanted my daughter to see a working artist in his element.  We were both thrilled with what we found.  It was a bonus that Matt was prepping for his upcoming show at the Pirate Gallery in Denver.
The studio itself is filled with pieces of past work, like this one:
There are sketches, scraps, and bits of inspiration everywhere you look:
He had several works in progress, the painting hanging against the cinder block wall, had some additional embellishments from his daughter, which Matt readily incorporates into his work:
And this sketch was waiting patiently on one of his work tables.  I can't wait to see what he does with it:


Matthew Doubek and Samuel Mobley's show Every Good Cowboy opens at the Pirate Gallery on February 4 and runs until February 20. 
Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Now that is one place I'd love to go and see, I have never heard of him before but I'm glad I read your blog because his work is great. There is something about that first photo of the old man in the hat that I really like.

    ReplyDelete