Friday, July 8, 2011

Recipe - Grandma's Cobbler

My mom and I loved to go shopping and out to lunch.  It was kind of a special treat to go to the mall and eat at Grandma's.  The mall, now defunct, was fun to walk around, but Grandma's Restaurant, was really our favorite.  It had that 80's "country charm" that was so popular then (and not so much now). The menu items were simple and homey, with a Southern bent.  We always ordered the cobbler; my favorite was peach. 

One day my mom asked the waitress if they would share the recipe.  She sent the cook out, who spouted off the recipe and my mom took notes.  The recipe came with quantities that would feed a mess hall, but we cut it down and I have been using the recipe for Grandma's Cobbler ever since.
This time I used mixed berries, but you can use whatever fresh fruit is in season.  In a pinch, I am sure frozen fruit would work well, too.

Grandma's Cobbler

Ingredients
3 cups mixed berries or sliced peaches
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar (divided)
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup dry tapioca (or less)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix berries, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 T tapioca (use 1/4 cup for juicier fruit), and 1/2 stick of melted butter.  Let sit while you mix the batter.
Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1 cup milk in a bowl, until smooth.  Add vanilla and cinnamon.

Pour 1/2 stick of melted butter in 8 x 8 baking dish (I used a round one with no difference).  Top with batter.  Top the batter with the berries. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

The result of this recipe is a warm baked fruit with a golden cakey topping.  You could certainly experiment with different combinations of fruit.  Next time I want to try adding an oat or granola topping to add extra crunch.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

1 comment: