Friday, July 22, 2011

Recipe - Tomato Basil Salad (Two ways)

I have a garden.  I try my best to grow a few tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, leafy greens, strawberries and herbs.  This year I am failing miserably.  Quite sad. 
Perhaps it's Mother Nature who is not cooperating.  The early part of the season was too wet and cool for the tomatoes, now this heat wave has made it too hot and dry.  The rabbits have bit the bean plant off at the base, the birds stolen the strawberries, the squirrels have picked and eaten the few green tomatoes!
The only thing that has been growing well are the herbs.  Basil, rosemary, tarragon, thyme, mint, cilantro, chamomile, and sage.  I love using fresh herbs!
Today I will have two recipes using fresh herbs - one now and one for happy hour.  (Be sure to check back.)

Tomato Basil Salad (Two ways)

Salad #1 - Ingredients
Grape tomatoes
Fresh Basil (several small bunches)
Parmesan -Reggiano
Balsamic Vinegar (or White Balsamic Vinegar)
Cracked Pepper
Kosher Salt

Halve the grape tomatoes.  Chiffonade the basil (roll the leaves in a tight roll and slice finely to make strips of basil). Grate the cheese.  Toss the tomatoes, a generous amount of cheese and basil together.  Sprinkle with 1 - 2 teaspoons of vinegar.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Let the flavors marry for an hour before serving.

(Ok, I know, I don't have measurements for this recipe.  It would depend on how much you'd like.  As this dish doesn't save more than a day or so, because the basil will wilt, I would make just as much as you would like to serve.)



Salad #2 - Ingredients
Grape tomatoes
Fresh Basil (several small bunches)
Fresh Mozzarella Pearls
Balsamic Vinegar (or White Balsamic Vinegar)
Cracked Pepper
Kosher Salt

Halve the grape tomatoes. Chiffonade the basil (roll the leaves in a tight roll and slice finely to make strips of basil). Toss an equal amount of mozzarella pearls and tomatoes.  Add the basil.  Sprinkle with 1 - 2 teaspoons of vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Let the flavors marry for an hour before serving.

We love these salads - my daughter can put one together in a jiffy while I make the rest of the dinner.  It's so nice to enjoy fresh herbs from the garden, even if everything else is pretty miserable this season.

(Check back later for a great happy hour recipe - you won't be disappointed!)

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!!! I love summer recipes like this. Salad #2 with all the cheese would be my favorite!
    Shanon

    ReplyDelete