Friday, January 14, 2011

Recipe - Chicken Saltimbocca

from Cooking Light January/February 2011

In an attempt to make meals more interesting and fulfilling, I have been trying out a lot of new recipes this month.  I love my Cooking Light subscription, and found tons of recipes this issue that I want to try out.  Last night I tried Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca.  It happened to be the cover recipe, and part of their quick and easy meals feature. 

Ingredients
4 (4-ounce) chicken cutlets
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 fresh sage leaves
2 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 8 thin strips
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Lemon wedges (optional)

Preparation
1. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Place 3 sage leaves on each cutlet; wrap 2 prosciutto slices around each cutlet, securing sage leaves in place.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
3. Combine broth, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture and the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.


The recipe won two thumbs up all around the table!  It was easy to make, it took about 20 minutes.  It was juicy and delicious.  Lemony sauce was great with angel hair pasta and broccoli.  Although my food styling skills may be lacking, my photo looks pretty close to the original in the magazine.  Definitely one I will make again.

Also in this month's issue:
Chicken with Mushroom Sauce:  we had that last week, two thumbs up!
Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter:  that's for tonight.  I will let you know how it goes.
Italian Beef Stew:  I will try this one next week.  It looks delicious!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious. Love the prosciutto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious dish. I love the lemony flavor in this dish.

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete