Friday, January 7, 2011

Recipe - Protien Bars with Oatmeal

Protein Bar Recipe

2 c chunky peanut butter
1 ¼ c honey
3 ½ c raw oats
¼  c wheat germ
¾ c sunflower seeds
2 ¼ c chocolate protein powder (I use whey based powder)

Melt peanut butter and honey in microwave.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Spread into cookie sheet (I use on large sheet pan and one medium sheet pan) refrigerate for 4 hours.  Cut to desired size, 2"x4".  Wrap in foil.  Store in refrigerator.
  • you can add different nuts, try chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds, or chopped peanuts
  • add dried fruits, cherries, cranberries or chopped dried apricots
  • eat as a quick snack or energy booster; they are great to take on a hike
This is a great recipe to make as you are trying to keep up with your healthy New Year's Resolutions!  It is a great pre- or post- workout snack. 
This one is particularly timely for me, as I am trying to boost my workout to lose what I gained over the holidays (darn that cheese and wine!).  And timely for my community as my small town, of Lafayette, Colorado, hosts it's annual Oatmeal Festival this weekend.  This weekend you can run in the Oatmeal 5k, enter the oatmeal baking contest or eat at the Oatmeal Breakfast Bar, with the world's largest oatmeal toppings bar.  Who could beat that!  Gotta love living in a small town!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delightful! I will give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really looks good and easy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete