Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Overheard -

"There are two types of people, lumpers and splitters."


"Huh?"


"Those that look for commonalities with others and those that look for differences."


Which type are you?


It is such an interesting use of terminology.  I was confused by the lumpers and splitters reference.  But, then again, I wasn't part of the conversation - I was eavesdropping.  I know, shame on me.  I couldn't help myself, sitting at the table alone, while my dining partner was in the restroom.  Don't tell me you haven't done the same. 
But the words caught my ear, and I listened for the explanation.  It makes sense if you think about it.
And, I guess I am a lumper.    I look for similarities.  I look for what brings us together, not what drives us apart.  What about you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm both!
    I love to know that I fit in and I'm not alone.

    But, then again, I love to see and hear about other people and all the ways their life is different. I have realized that my opinions are based on only my understanding of the world and I see the world in such a limited way. To learn how others see the world is a gift. Besides, if everyone were like me, I'd be bored!

    Shanon

    ReplyDelete