Friday, May 6, 2011

Recipe - Homemade Pancakes

This recipe comes from my favorite cookbook, Passion for Good Food and Lively Kitchens, by my friend Lisa Maloney.  Unfortunately it's not published.  She put a collection of her favorite recipes together for friends and family and bound them together for a Christmas gift years ago.  Our copy is well-work and used almost weekly. 

One of our favorite recipes is this one:
Homemade Pancakes
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
2 T sugar
3/4 t salt
1 egg
2 T melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  In a small bowl, beat egg, add milk and melted butter.  Add wet ingredients to the dry, whisk gently.  Mix until just incorporated.  Do not over mix.

Heat griddle.  Cook over medium heat until bubbles form and stay open, then flip and cook until golden brown. 
Variation:  Add 2 T wheat germ to the dry ingredients.  Add a smidge more milk to the batter, as needed, after mixing.  The wheat germ will thicken the batter quite a bit.  I usually add 2 -3 T more milk.

These are our favorite pancakes.  Serve with real maple syrup and fresh berries.   And, if my kids happen to be making breakfast, they will also add a bit of Special Dark Chocolate Syrup and whipped cream.  It makes for the perfect "fancy breakfast."  Perfect for Mother's Day!  Mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. I can devour some pancakes now. . lol. I like to experiment with pancakes. Thanks for the recipe. I am now following your blog. Stop by and check our blog out.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than homemade pancakes first thing in the morning. Especially when they are topped with chocolate!

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/05/05/homemade-coffee-creamer/

    ReplyDelete