Monday, October 25, 2010

Project - Halloween Pumpkin Candlesticks


I got the idea for these pumpkins at a chain store.  Their version was cutesier than mine.  Theirs was also pretty cheap looking.  I wanted to make a pair of pumpkin heads that would look a little vintage and a little spooky.  I like the dark effect of my two pumpkin heads.


Materials:
2 fake pumpkins
2 metal candlesticks
2 cardboard cones
black spray paint
orange and black lace and trim
tiny pumpkins or orange pompons
old buttons
hot glue and glue gun
Exacto knife


Process: 
  • Paint the pumpkins, the cones, and the candlesticks black.
  • Using hot glue, attach lace above or below the candlestick plate. Layer two laces or trims for extra interest.
  • Using the Exacto knife, carve a face into each pumpkin.
  • Attach the trim and buttons to the hats with hot glue. Again, layering works well.  I used buttons and pompon trim on one hat and layered two types of trim on the other hat. Top with tiny pumpkin, tassel or pompon.
  • Assemble the two candlesticks with hot glue.

I like how mine turned out.  I wanted them to be a good pair; I like that one is happy, but wacky, and the other sad.   We will put battery operated candles inside on Halloween.  (you can find  mini battery lights to put through the mouth or eye hole, or cut a larger hole underneath to accommodate a small battery candle)

 I wonder how I can adapt this project for other holidays?  What can I use instead of pumpkins.  Good luck, and let me know if you try this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment