Monday, October 18, 2010

Recipe - S'Mores

 Yes.  I am going to share my S'More recipe with you.  No, these aren't any usual s'mores.  I, in fact, do not even like s'mores.  But, Sunday evening turned into s'more night at our house. 

Our family habit this summer was to build a fire in our small outdoor fire dish, wait until the coals burned down, and roast some marshmallows. (The Hanson family secret for the perfect marshmallow, is to wait until there are no flames, only glowing coals) 

This waiting time is difficult for some.  It really doesn't even look as though there is enough heat to roast a marshmallow, but this tried and true technique will prevent your marshmallow from catching on fire and turning into a charcoal mess.  And the time around the fire is the perfect moment for chatting with the kids about the week to come or the week that's ended.

But, as I don't even like s'mores, I had to do something to turn the basic into the bold.  How could I spice it up a bit?

We discovered the way to make a Gourmet S'More is to substitute the sublime for the mundane.  Instead of graham crackers, use any variety of Anna's Thins (we've tried the Ginger Thins and the Almond Cinnamon, both are yummy).  Instead of Hershey's Milk, use a one of Boulder's own Chocolove's varieties of dark chocolate bars (Our favorites, so far, are Chilies & Cherries in Dark Chocolate and Orange Peel in Dark Chocolate).  We still use Jet-Puffed marshmallows - I have tried the "off brands" and they always end up sticky in the bag.  I haven't tried to make my own, that may come next. 

One of the nice things about this way of making S'mores, is the possibility to "customize" your own, and share your new creation with one another.  The girls love to try the different combinations and flavor profiles.  And, yes, don't forget to serve the adults red wine with their Gourmet S'More.

So, there it is:  our fancy S'More.  These are S'Mores I can sink my teeth into!

2 comments:

  1. How does the wine glass in the picture figure into your recipe? Are you sure that isn't your secret ingredient;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I was planning on making my own marshmallows this winter. The recipe I have includes toasted coconut on top. YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete