Thursday, October 14, 2010

Teaching Friendship

One of my daughters entered middle school this fall.  She was excited to be a 6th grader.  I was excited for her.  But, I had not so fond memories of middle school, myself.  I didn't share those with her.  I hoped that she had a strong self confidence and a stable friend base that would help to give her a positive experience.  I think I was lacking those things when I was her age.  Unfortunately, those things aren't the "cure all" for the madness that can be MIDDLE SCHOOL.

The 6th grade social scene can be quite brutal.  Girls!  It's true, girls can be horrible.  My daughter has had some unpleasant experiences with friends.  I don't have any concrete answers.  We are trying to figure it out together.  My hope is that we can ride out these years and come out stronger on the other side.  My goal is to teach my daughters to be strong, to be good friends, and to be confident in themselves.   I hope that with these tools they will end up alright when they have to weather these storms as adults.


photo by M. Hanson


Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
- Muhammad Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment