Monday, November 8, 2010

Recipe - Truffles

Ganache
 I think it's time for a recipe. 
This one is worth trying as the holidays approach.  I happened across this recipe while I was watching the Food Network and saw a show called 5 Ingredient Fix.  The show was new to me and I was unfamiliar with the host, Claire Robinson, although I have found I like her recipes and her tips. Her guest for the day was pastry chef Keegan Gerhard and they made hand rolled chocolate truffles. I have always been intimidated by candy making but they made it looked so easy I thought I had to try it!  I made them for Halloween.

Chocolate Truffles

8 ounces good dark chocolate (at least 60% cocoa)

Scooped
8 ounces heavy cream

Coatings for rolling:
cocoa powder, decorative sugar, sprinkles, spices, chopped nuts

Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate.  Scald the cream in a saucepan (heat over medium heat, stirring so the cream doesn't scorch on the bottom, until almost boiling)  Add the cream to the melted chocolate and mix with a wire whisk.   Here is where you wonder if something is wrong with the recipe.  The chocolate and cream don't seem to want to mix together, but don't worry.  Keep mixing and you will get a beautiful, shiny chocolate ganache.  Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  The ganache needs to be firm enough to scoop.

Toppings


Using a small scoop, place small balls of chocolate on a lined cookie sheet.  Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.  Then, working quickly in small batches, roll the lumps of chocolate in your hands and then roll into the toppings.  Place in petit four cups or covered container and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
         
    Rolling truffles.
  • This recipe has two spots where I wondered what went wrong.  First, when I combined the cream and the chocolate, mixing took longer than I expected.  Have patience.  Second, when rolling the balls, I found they melted quickly.  My solutions: place them in the freezer for a few minutes or don't obsess about hand rolled truffles being perfectly round.
  • I see so many places for creativity with this recipe.  I mixed (1 t) cayenne pepper with one of my (3 T)rolling sugars and made spicy truffles.  I mixed cinnamon with another.  The cayenne was my favorite.
  • Use the warm ganache as a "frosting" for muffins or cupcakes.  Hold the muffin upside down and dip it into the ganache.  We did this with pumpkin muffins - delicious!
  • Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.  (After 5 days, they taste fine but the toppings "melt")


Finished truffles, Chocolate Cayenne on the left with orange sugar;
Plain Chocolate with black sugar on the right.


No comments:

Post a Comment